Review Detail

CMI Gold & Silver Inc
Gold Dealers

Reliable, friendly, good to newbies; relatively high prices

Reviewed by Lead Brick | May 01, 2012

When I was new to the gold buying experience, CMI held my hand and never rushed me. They answered even odd questions from me regarding how they run their business (e.g. hedging, stock). I am forever grateful to them for that.

CMI ships by US Postal Service registered mail for gold which grants the buyer high confidence that he will either receive his shipment, or get a full refund. On the other hand, if USPS service is spotty in your area, you could be sleepless for a few days. That happened to me on one occasions where USPS appeared to have lost my shipment. To CMI's credit, they assisted in instigating a USPS investigation into the package status and I did eventually receive my merchandise. CMI never disavowed responsibility and never turned away my phone call during this incident.

Those who have ordered from CMI will attest to the novel method by which CMI protects your privacy. I won't give it away, but the packaging is clever enough that casual people (including the USPS or UPS carrier) will not think that you have valuable merchandise in your package, whether you order a few coins, or bags of junk silver.

CMI also uses a novel invoicing system that results in what appear to be anonymous invoices. CMI has patiently explained their invoicing system to me. I am impressed by their commitment to privacy. I recommend that you inquire about it.

I like Tulving's use of UPS better and Tulving's prices much better, but their recent performance has been nerve-racking (see my review of Tulving). CMI's higher prices can be weighed against their privacy practices and willingness to hold your hand if you need it.

Customer's Experience

Did You Receive What You Ordered?
Yes
Would You Purchase From This Dealer Again?
Yes
When I was new to the gold buying experience, CMI held my hand and never rushed me. They answered even odd questions from me regarding how they run their business (e.g. hedging, stock). I am forever grateful to them for that.

CMI ships by US Postal Service registered mail for gold which grants the buyer high confidence that he will either receive his shipment, or get a full refund. On the other hand, if USPS service is spotty in your area, you could be sleepless for a few days. That happened to me on one occasions where USPS appeared to have lost my shipment. To CMI's credit, they assisted in instigating a USPS investigation into the package status and I did eventually receive my merchandise. CMI never disavowed responsibility and never turned away my phone call during this incident.

Those who have ordered from CMI will attest to the novel method by which CMI protects your privacy. I won't give it away, but the packaging is clever enough that casual people (including the USPS or UPS carrier) will not think that you have valuable merchandise in your package, whether you order a few coins, or bags of junk silver.

CMI also uses a novel invoicing system that results in what appear to be anonymous invoices. CMI has patiently explained their invoicing system to me. I am impressed by their commitment to privacy. I recommend that you inquire about it.

I like Tulving's use of UPS better and Tulving's prices much better, but their recent performance has been nerve-racking (see my review of Tulving). CMI's higher prices can be weighed against their privacy practices and willingness to hold your hand if you need it.
Overall rating 

Shipping Time 

Customer Service 

Buying Experience 

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Already have an account?
Please enter the security code.