Review Detail

Bullion Direct - (Closed)
Gold Dealers

Terrible Customer Service

Reviewed by Chan | February 12, 2014

I purchased a 1/4 ounce gold coin from them on Jan. 3 and found two differences with my other 1/4 ounce gold coins. 1) It was almost twice as thick 2) when I tossed it into the air, it had a dull thud. I have two other 1/4 ounce gold coins and they both have a metallic ring when I toss them into the air.
I brought this up with Bullion Direct and, first of all, they do not have a live person so there is no phone call, only email. They had me send it back, and after stating that they authenticated it, they said they would send it to an independent party to authenticate it again, and then would send me back the same coin.
That is a problem for me because if the coin is thicker than it is supposed to be and does not have a metallic ring, I do not trust it. Admittedly I am an amateur but coin experts say that the dimensions of a gold coin and the sound are indicators of authenticity. So I'm not sure what paperwork they would send me but I would rather have a coin like my other two coins in terms of width and metallic ring. They refuse to do that. Instead they offered to pay me melt value, which means that I would have to take a $70 loss on a $380 order. I asked if I could at least get the amount I paid, $347, and take the loss on the handling and shipping charges. I thought it would be better to take a bit of a loss and just put the issue behind me, but have not received any response for over a week. I take that as a no.
As of now, Feb. 11, I am still waiting and I do not have any coin from them and I have not received a refund.
I would say go with Apmex. I had a similar problem with a coin being too thick and they exchanged it. Apmex had good customer service and it was smooth. I cannot say that about this place.
If you ever have a problem, you'd have to email them and then hopefully you'll have better luck fighting through the resistance.

Customer's Experience

Did You Receive What You Ordered?
Yes
Would You Purchase From This Dealer Again?
No
I purchased a 1/4 ounce gold coin from them on Jan. 3 and found two differences with my other 1/4 ounce gold coins. 1) It was almost twice as thick 2) when I tossed it into the air, it had a dull thud. I have two other 1/4 ounce gold coins and they both have a metallic ring when I toss them into the air.
I brought this up with Bullion Direct and, first of all, they do not have a live person so there is no phone call, only email. They had me send it back, and after stating that they authenticated it, they said they would send it to an independent party to authenticate it again, and then would send me back the same coin.
That is a problem for me because if the coin is thicker than it is supposed to be and does not have a metallic ring, I do not trust it. Admittedly I am an amateur but coin experts say that the dimensions of a gold coin and the sound are indicators of authenticity. So I'm not sure what paperwork they would send me but I would rather have a coin like my other two coins in terms of width and metallic ring. They refuse to do that. Instead they offered to pay me melt value, which means that I would have to take a $70 loss on a $380 order. I asked if I could at least get the amount I paid, $347, and take the loss on the handling and shipping charges. I thought it would be better to take a bit of a loss and just put the issue behind me, but have not received any response for over a week. I take that as a no.
As of now, Feb. 11, I am still waiting and I do not have any coin from them and I have not received a refund.
I would say go with Apmex. I had a similar problem with a coin being too thick and they exchanged it. Apmex had good customer service and it was smooth. I cannot say that about this place.
If you ever have a problem, you'd have to email them and then hopefully you'll have better luck fighting through the resistance.
Overall rating 

Shipping Time 

Customer Service 

Buying Experience 

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1

Ordering 

Already have an account?
Please enter the security code.
Written by Charles McAllister
March 07, 2014
Customer removed coin from Mint packaging and mishandled coin. Claimed it was fake. We paid to return coin to inspect. We paid to send and have NGC (Numismatic Guaranty Corp) grade and certify the coin - MS62
Now customer wants us to eat the loss he caused. Customer is taking absolutely no responsibility for the damage he caused or acknowledging the cost and effort we have put in to address his false claim. At a loss for a reasonable outcome, we have shipped the coin back to him. I am truly sorry that we could not meet his expectations but know we tried our best, short of being extorted.
1 results - showing 1 - 1