Review Detail

APMEX
Gold Dealers

APMEX deems to bring and resurrect racism and discrimination.

Reviewed by F Elwan | March 31, 2014

Another Sad day in the land of the U.S.A
Another big company practices the most discriminatory practice that was thought to be long had gone and forbidden from being practiced and society have evolved and forgotten the knowhow of practicing such discrimination and racism. APMEX deems to bring and resurrect racism and discrimination against you if your name sounds Mediterranean or Islamic or anything out of the normal and acceptable names such as Michael, Steve, John or Sam, e.t.c.
If your name remotely resembles a Mediterranean name or God forbid a Muslim name, prepare yourself to be scrutinized and discriminated against by APMEX. Just like when African Americans used to be discriminated against in the past (and still in the present) because of the color of their skin! Today you better run to the court house and change your name if your name happened to be Raheem or Abdullah and definitely if your name is Mohammed. If you don’t, then you should expect denial of credit, employment, school admission and a phone call from every security Dept of any company you made a purchase from over the internet.
This is how bad the situation for people who lives in the U.S with such names and hale from Mediterranean or Muslim backgrounds. The discrimination against this group of minority in our society has become more and more aggressive and apparent in all aspects of our society with no shame of practicing this type of discriminations and racism! APMEX is a company that openly practices this kind of racism and discrimination.
My latest encounter with such discrimination came from a transaction I have made with a company by the name of APMEX. Supposedly this is a big and reputable company in the retail business of precious metal, but not big enough to elevate them self from the demeaning practice of discrimination. Upon placing an order with this company I received an email for APMEX stating that there is a small problem with my order needed to be solved by contacting them to solve this small problem. Sure no problem I picked up the phone and dialed the provided 800 number to be greeted by whom? By their security department!! “How can I help you” I asked Michelle the lady that was according to her from APMEX security Dept.? Michelle responded with the most shocking and the most poorly thought off of a question, where are you located Mr. Elwan? “Here in New York” I responded,” why” I asked? We’ll Mr. Elwan your IP address showing that you have placed your order from the Netherlands are you in the Netherland Mr. Elwan? No I responded I am here in New York and I placed the order from my home here in NY, what do you mean my IP address is coming from the Netherland? I continued by saying “what kind of BS you are trying to pull here guys? “ In an apparent change of tactics Michelle asked me if I could provide her with my credit card information to verify my address with my bank. At this point I felt that I am being a victim of an obvious and classic case of discrimination, first of all, I told Michelle, your sales department should have been with me on the phone to initiate the phone call with my bank since they should have all the necessary information to provide my bank while I am with them on the phone, and not some security department that is asking me for my credit card information one more time, second of all APMEX have already got an authorization from my bank and the amount has been deducted from my available funds and if they have any security issues as they claim then they should of contacted me the day the order was placed and not two days after, what kind of a security department that delay such important issue? That is if there is such an important issue as they claim and not just practicing some kind of discrimination and racist act that is violating every civil law on the federal lave and the state level of every state in the U.S.A.
Michelle could not find in her pretext scenarios a respond to my objection to APMEX customers humiliating practices and the only thing she can offer is to cancel the order, not to process and expedite the order and apologize for their obvious attempt to practice the lowest level of racism and discrimination, no cancel the order and prove to me and to all Americans out there that APMEX is a company that practice openly racism and discrimination.

F Elwan
Law Student at the New York University School of Law.

Customer's Experience

Did You Receive What You Ordered?
No
Would You Purchase From This Dealer Again?
No
Another Sad day in the land of the U.S.A
Another big company practices the most discriminatory practice that was thought to be long had gone and forbidden from being practiced and society have evolved and forgotten the knowhow of practicing such discrimination and racism. APMEX deems to bring and resurrect racism and discrimination against you if your name sounds Mediterranean or Islamic or anything out of the normal and acceptable names such as Michael, Steve, John or Sam, e.t.c.
If your name remotely resembles a Mediterranean name or God forbid a Muslim name, prepare yourself to be scrutinized and discriminated against by APMEX. Just like when African Americans used to be discriminated against in the past (and still in the present) because of the color of their skin! Today you better run to the court house and change your name if your name happened to be Raheem or Abdullah and definitely if your name is Mohammed. If you don’t, then you should expect denial of credit, employment, school admission and a phone call from every security Dept of any company you made a purchase from over the internet.
This is how bad the situation for people who lives in the U.S with such names and hale from Mediterranean or Muslim backgrounds. The discrimination against this group of minority in our society has become more and more aggressive and apparent in all aspects of our society with no shame of practicing this type of discriminations and racism! APMEX is a company that openly practices this kind of racism and discrimination.
My latest encounter with such discrimination came from a transaction I have made with a company by the name of APMEX. Supposedly this is a big and reputable company in the retail business of precious metal, but not big enough to elevate them self from the demeaning practice of discrimination. Upon placing an order with this company I received an email for APMEX stating that there is a small problem with my order needed to be solved by contacting them to solve this small problem. Sure no problem I picked up the phone and dialed the provided 800 number to be greeted by whom? By their security department!! “How can I help you” I asked Michelle the lady that was according to her from APMEX security Dept.? Michelle responded with the most shocking and the most poorly thought off of a question, where are you located Mr. Elwan? “Here in New York” I responded,” why” I asked? We’ll Mr. Elwan your IP address showing that you have placed your order from the Netherlands are you in the Netherland Mr. Elwan? No I responded I am here in New York and I placed the order from my home here in NY, what do you mean my IP address is coming from the Netherland? I continued by saying “what kind of BS you are trying to pull here guys? “ In an apparent change of tactics Michelle asked me if I could provide her with my credit card information to verify my address with my bank. At this point I felt that I am being a victim of an obvious and classic case of discrimination, first of all, I told Michelle, your sales department should have been with me on the phone to initiate the phone call with my bank since they should have all the necessary information to provide my bank while I am with them on the phone, and not some security department that is asking me for my credit card information one more time, second of all APMEX have already got an authorization from my bank and the amount has been deducted from my available funds and if they have any security issues as they claim then they should of contacted me the day the order was placed and not two days after, what kind of a security department that delay such important issue? That is if there is such an important issue as they claim and not just practicing some kind of discrimination and racist act that is violating every civil law on the federal lave and the state level of every state in the U.S.A.
Michelle could not find in her pretext scenarios a respond to my objection to APMEX customers humiliating practices and the only thing she can offer is to cancel the order, not to process and expedite the order and apologize for their obvious attempt to practice the lowest level of racism and discrimination, no cancel the order and prove to me and to all Americans out there that APMEX is a company that practice openly racism and discrimination.

F Elwan
Law Student at the New York University School of Law.

Overall rating 

Shipping Time 

Customer Service 

Buying Experience 

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

14 results - showing 1 - 10
1 2  
Ordering 

Already have an account?
Please enter the security code.
Written by Carl
April 29, 2014
Why did your IP address say you were in the Netherlands anyway? You stated you were trying to use a credit card. International orders have different requirements, minimums and they don't take credit cards. Don't use racism as an excuse to blame all of your problems.
Written by Buddy Avery
May 01, 2014
No surprise a law student with a chip on his shoulder sue them for making sure that your not scamming them. Whatever man!
Written by Kathir
May 02, 2014
Some of us know the possibility why IP address showed Netherlands. And in the world of IT security, its a huge red flag. They had all the rights to ask questions to ensure authenticity of the transaction. Your review doesn't really help anyone here.
Written by sheri beeson
May 12, 2014
With a life lived over 50 years I know that when I enoounter those who scream "racism" and then proceed to express themselves long, drawn out, boring detailed letters on the multiple they were unfairly treated as someone I would NEVER TAKE ADVICE FROM. In other words, they are very weird and need to be avoided at all cost. My experience with APMEX has been exceptional.
Written by Jeff
June 19, 2014
I don't see any racism here, stop playing that card. His whole story sounds very sketchy to me to begin with. An IP address from the Netherlands is an issue especially when he was trying to use a credit card. I don't put any credibility to his story. I have never had anything but exceptional service with APMEX.
Written by David
August 03, 2014
Good thing you addressed the issue Mr.Elwan.

Discrimination is not right. You did the right thing and don't pay too much attention to the negative comments. sometimes the whole barrel is full of bad apples.
Written by Nice
August 07, 2014
Please don't be upset about this. Some people are just rude. We Americans are not all racist. This type of behavior you are talking about is absurd!! In the same aspect that some of our citizens are anti muslim(foreigner) radical muslims are giving people with American names over seas a hard time and even killing them. Please don't judge an entire company or country for that matter for actions of a few. Thanks
Written by jc
August 19, 2014
wow, this person definitely sounds emotionally disturbed and quite paranoid... what's really scary about it is that it's coming from a law student, I truly hope you'll never actually be employed in any facility to do with actual law....

- first: the apmex had every right to implement/request additional security checking/proof upon any red flags showing up with ip address...
- second: where do you come p with the racist issue with a last name like 'elwan'?...sounds perfectly generic-American not race/religion specific...
- third: it's so funny to read this ludicrous rambling when I've just purchased over $18.5k worth of gold [mix of various bullion coins and bars] and dealt with a customer service rep at apmex named 'taiwo sowemimo' there when I needed to ensure a delivery post a specific date... this customer rep was very professional and courteous and unlike 'elwan' it actually does sound quite foreign, I'm guessing of african origin?...
- fourth: get some professional medical help, you're looking for issues and trying to stir up trouble where there is none... and please do this country a favor - do not ever practice law with such paranoia....
Written by Chan
August 28, 2014
Yeah the other day I was using a remote server from Russia to try and buy gold on a stolen credit card and damn Apmex stopped me and asked said 'hey what are you doing there guy?' and I was like 'wtf you guys are racist'. That's my story here buddy… see racist is bad guy.
Written by NatRou
October 15, 2014
Mr Elwan complaining about racism is full of you know what. I'm middle eastern and regular customer with APMEX... some credit cards are not accepted and the fact they called you on your IP address showing from a different country, that is a 100% legit reason not to process any order... does money laundering ring a bell?

Go whining somewhere else.
14 results - showing 1 - 10
1 2