Review Detail

Modern Coin Mart
Gold Dealers

Bad Customer Service

Reviewed by Ricardo | November 30, 2014

MCM has good prices, and I received what I ordered in good condition. However, getting them to ship my order was a huge hassle. I read their terms of service before placing my order, and it was the standard terms of service, with the exception that it says that after payment clears, they will hold the order for 7 days. I don't care if I have to wait 7 days longer than I would have had to with other vendors, and because I read how stellar these reviews were, I placed an order with a lot of confidence. The next day I received an e-mail saying that my order would be cancelled (My deposit would be returned) unless I sent either a picture of a government issued photo ID, or a photocopy of a government issued photo ID. Additionally, if I didn't want my order cancelled, wire the remaining balance immediately, even though in my order I had specified that I would pay by check. Bear in mind that this was AFTER the deposit had cleared. I responded that the terms of service made no mention that I would have to do this, and I asked for an explanation. I also said that I could not wire them the payment, because I had already mailed them a check. They responded that my transaction had "Red Flags", I asked them to clarify, because I checked with my credit card, and they had allowed the deposit to go through. MCM's own web site reported that my deposit had cleared. In any case, I received no response whatsoever to my inquiry. I did send them a copy of my photo ID. On the next day I sent a second e-mail asking for a status on my order, since I did not want it to be cancelled. I did not receive a response. The following day I filled out an inquiry form on the website asking for a status update, and I finally got a response that my order had been processed (Meaning full payment was received), and it would ship in 7 days. I thought I was in the clear, but two days before my order was to ship, they sent me another e-mail telling me that unless I called them, my order would not ship. I asked them to explain themselves, because, again, this was not in the agreement when I placed my order, and I wanted to know why I was getting hassled. They responded by telling me that they had left the details on my answering machine, and didn't give me any more details. In the end my order did ship when they said, but it was extremely unpleasant to have to jump through all those hoops. I have ordered from lots of other vendors, and the process is always smooth. I had never been threatened to have my order cancelled. I had never had to prove I was who I said I was. I had never had to call the vendor after full payment was received.
I have said I would shop from them again, because, I did receive what I ordered. However, they will not be my first choice. Also, if there is a next time, hopefully they will already have me on file, and won't harass me again.

Customer's Experience

Did You Receive What You Ordered?
Yes
Would You Purchase From This Dealer Again?
Yes
MCM has good prices, and I received what I ordered in good condition. However, getting them to ship my order was a huge hassle. I read their terms of service before placing my order, and it was the standard terms of service, with the exception that it says that after payment clears, they will hold the order for 7 days. I don't care if I have to wait 7 days longer than I would have had to with other vendors, and because I read how stellar these reviews were, I placed an order with a lot of confidence. The next day I received an e-mail saying that my order would be cancelled (My deposit would be returned) unless I sent either a picture of a government issued photo ID, or a photocopy of a government issued photo ID. Additionally, if I didn't want my order cancelled, wire the remaining balance immediately, even though in my order I had specified that I would pay by check. Bear in mind that this was AFTER the deposit had cleared. I responded that the terms of service made no mention that I would have to do this, and I asked for an explanation. I also said that I could not wire them the payment, because I had already mailed them a check. They responded that my transaction had "Red Flags", I asked them to clarify, because I checked with my credit card, and they had allowed the deposit to go through. MCM's own web site reported that my deposit had cleared. In any case, I received no response whatsoever to my inquiry. I did send them a copy of my photo ID. On the next day I sent a second e-mail asking for a status on my order, since I did not want it to be cancelled. I did not receive a response. The following day I filled out an inquiry form on the website asking for a status update, and I finally got a response that my order had been processed (Meaning full payment was received), and it would ship in 7 days. I thought I was in the clear, but two days before my order was to ship, they sent me another e-mail telling me that unless I called them, my order would not ship. I asked them to explain themselves, because, again, this was not in the agreement when I placed my order, and I wanted to know why I was getting hassled. They responded by telling me that they had left the details on my answering machine, and didn't give me any more details. In the end my order did ship when they said, but it was extremely unpleasant to have to jump through all those hoops. I have ordered from lots of other vendors, and the process is always smooth. I had never been threatened to have my order cancelled. I had never had to prove I was who I said I was. I had never had to call the vendor after full payment was received.
I have said I would shop from them again, because, I did receive what I ordered. However, they will not be my first choice. Also, if there is a next time, hopefully they will already have me on file, and won't harass me again.
Overall rating 

Shipping Time 

Customer Service 

Buying Experience 

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Already have an account?
Please enter the security code.