Review Detail

US Gold Bureau
US Gold Bureau Pending Moderation
Gold Dealers

Legitimate Company But Slow Delivery

Reviewed by American Patrior | October 02, 2015

I placed an order with this company in August after emailing them for information. First let me say that they are indeed a legitimate and licensed precious metals company and I did receive what I ordered. I've heard many bad things about this company that don't seem to make sense or are just flat out untrue. But based on my experiences, I can see why some may complain about certain aspects of this company.

Sales and Marketing - Yes, their emphasis is to get you to buy certified coins as an investment. Yes, the sales folks will make a better commission if you buy these coins with a higher premium. My first experience was with a salesman (they call them agents) was a hard upsell attempt at certified gold coins costing $5000 a piece. I previously told this man that I was interested in silver American Eagles, and yes I got frustrated. I called back and asked for a different agent and got one that actually listened to me and what I wanted after I made it perfectly clear that I did not want graded coins. I am a silver stacker. Silver stackers aren't interested in graded coins; especially graded gold coins. Once I made my investment interests PERFECTLY clear, then we made some progress and I ordered what I wanted to order. I explained to my new agent that I was not going to be a high dollar investor but I would be a consistent investor if treated right, and I have been ever since. If you don't want the upsell, just get straight to the point and say no. You're the customer. To her credit, the second agent was awesome.

Their silver prices are some of the best out there with regard to their premiums over spot. They are consistently cheaper than Apmex.com and ProvidentMetals.com. The main draw back to this company is their horrendous $15 shipping charges. Why anyone would pay that, I don't know. I am fortunate in that I live in Austin, Texas where the company is and what is not advertised is that you can request to go in person to pickup your order. Just make an appointment with your agent once your order comes in. I must say that going in person to pickup my order was an experience. Even though I made an appointment and they knew I was coming, I was still challenged at the front door to their lobby before I could even ring the door bell. They have a secure facility so I wasn't going to be barging in unseen. This tall, grey haired man in a pink shirt challenged me at the door and asked me what I wanted. I told him I was there to pickup and order. At first he didn't seem to believe me, but eventually let me in once I told him the name of my agent. If USGB reads these reviews, I suggest a friendlier greeting. I understand security but you ARE a business that entertains clients. Don't make them feel like intruders. However, once I met with my agent, everything was fine and the bullion I ordered was awesome!

Be patient when you order. It takes 2-3 weeks to get your order. I didn't mind waiting since my price was locked in. I have also seen some clients complain that they are made to sign for their orders when it is shipped. To me that's the dumbest complaint I've heard. That's extra security for you. If you're driving distance, pay by e-check and go in person to pickup your order. You save LOTS on overhead. One major goal of precious metals buying is to get it as cheap as you can.

All in all, I give USGB a decent rating for most things except shipping time. But I knew that going in. In conclusion, yes, they emphasize graded coins as an investment and will offer those to you on the phone. Some of their "motivated" agents will try hard to upsell you. Hang up the phone or ask for someone else who will listen to what you want.

Customer's Experience

Did You Receive What You Ordered?
Yes
Would You Purchase From This Dealer Again?
Yes
I placed an order with this company in August after emailing them for information. First let me say that they are indeed a legitimate and licensed precious metals company and I did receive what I ordered. I've heard many bad things about this company that don't seem to make sense or are just flat out untrue. But based on my experiences, I can see why some may complain about certain aspects of this company.

Sales and Marketing - Yes, their emphasis is to get you to buy certified coins as an investment. Yes, the sales folks will make a better commission if you buy these coins with a higher premium. My first experience was with a salesman (they call them agents) was a hard upsell attempt at certified gold coins costing $5000 a piece. I previously told this man that I was interested in silver American Eagles, and yes I got frustrated. I called back and asked for a different agent and got one that actually listened to me and what I wanted after I made it perfectly clear that I did not want graded coins. I am a silver stacker. Silver stackers aren't interested in graded coins; especially graded gold coins. Once I made my investment interests PERFECTLY clear, then we made some progress and I ordered what I wanted to order. I explained to my new agent that I was not going to be a high dollar investor but I would be a consistent investor if treated right, and I have been ever since. If you don't want the upsell, just get straight to the point and say no. You're the customer. To her credit, the second agent was awesome.

Their silver prices are some of the best out there with regard to their premiums over spot. They are consistently cheaper than Apmex.com and ProvidentMetals.com. The main draw back to this company is their horrendous $15 shipping charges. Why anyone would pay that, I don't know. I am fortunate in that I live in Austin, Texas where the company is and what is not advertised is that you can request to go in person to pickup your order. Just make an appointment with your agent once your order comes in. I must say that going in person to pickup my order was an experience. Even though I made an appointment and they knew I was coming, I was still challenged at the front door to their lobby before I could even ring the door bell. They have a secure facility so I wasn't going to be barging in unseen. This tall, grey haired man in a pink shirt challenged me at the door and asked me what I wanted. I told him I was there to pickup and order. At first he didn't seem to believe me, but eventually let me in once I told him the name of my agent. If USGB reads these reviews, I suggest a friendlier greeting. I understand security but you ARE a business that entertains clients. Don't make them feel like intruders. However, once I met with my agent, everything was fine and the bullion I ordered was awesome!

Be patient when you order. It takes 2-3 weeks to get your order. I didn't mind waiting since my price was locked in. I have also seen some clients complain that they are made to sign for their orders when it is shipped. To me that's the dumbest complaint I've heard. That's extra security for you. If you're driving distance, pay by e-check and go in person to pickup your order. You save LOTS on overhead. One major goal of precious metals buying is to get it as cheap as you can.

All in all, I give USGB a decent rating for most things except shipping time. But I knew that going in. In conclusion, yes, they emphasize graded coins as an investment and will offer those to you on the phone. Some of their "motivated" agents will try hard to upsell you. Hang up the phone or ask for someone else who will listen to what you want.
Overall rating 

Shipping Time 

Customer Service 

Buying Experience 

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Already have an account?
Please enter the security code.