Review Detail

Golden Eagle Coins
Gold Dealers

Honest PM dealer

Reviewed by Tuco | June 19, 2018

An honest precious metals dealer is worth their weight in gold. I've had some really awful experiences with some shops and dealers, so I absolutely appreciate how great GEC is. You also have to realize that they are a small shop, not a bullion warehouse like some of their online competitors, so their shipping and handling is going to be slower and more expensive. The S&H fees and delays are listed on their website. Sorry, in this day and age you have to accept a long delay if paying by check.

I really don't get the outrage in some of these negative reviews. In order to add an item to your cart, you have to click a button right next to a list of prices of the item with different forms of payment (cash, CC, PayPal, and now Bitcoin). Pretty hard to miss. It's not like they sneak in the higher price for credit cards when you aren't looking.

One issue I do have with their UX is that, once items are added to the cart, the price in your cart assumes you're paying with cash, then updates when you choose a payment method at checkout. I don't consider this dishonest at all, as you don't decide which payment method you're using until you check out, so there is no way to avoid this given the current setup. Maybe some of these negative experiences could be prevented if they asked what your method of payment was going to be before you put stuff in your cart, so they can display the correct price in the cart rather than having it change when you go to check out.

Regardless, my experiences with them both by mail and in person have been great.

Customer's Experience

Did You Receive What You Ordered?
Yes
Would You Purchase From This Dealer Again?
Yes
An honest precious metals dealer is worth their weight in gold. I've had some really awful experiences with some shops and dealers, so I absolutely appreciate how great GEC is. You also have to realize that they are a small shop, not a bullion warehouse like some of their online competitors, so their shipping and handling is going to be slower and more expensive. The S&H fees and delays are listed on their website. Sorry, in this day and age you have to accept a long delay if paying by check.

I really don't get the outrage in some of these negative reviews. In order to add an item to your cart, you have to click a button right next to a list of prices of the item with different forms of payment (cash, CC, PayPal, and now Bitcoin). Pretty hard to miss. It's not like they sneak in the higher price for credit cards when you aren't looking.

One issue I do have with their UX is that, once items are added to the cart, the price in your cart assumes you're paying with cash, then updates when you choose a payment method at checkout. I don't consider this dishonest at all, as you don't decide which payment method you're using until you check out, so there is no way to avoid this given the current setup. Maybe some of these negative experiences could be prevented if they asked what your method of payment was going to be before you put stuff in your cart, so they can display the correct price in the cart rather than having it change when you go to check out.

Regardless, my experiences with them both by mail and in person have been great.
Overall rating 

Shipping Time 

Customer Service 

Buying Experience 

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Already have an account?
Please enter the security code.