Review Detail

APMEX
Gold Dealers

I no longer recommend APMEX

Reviewed by DC Wornock | December 18, 2019

Until recently APMEX was outstanding. Over the last 13 years, I have ordered from APMEX over $200,000 in gold and platinum that I store in my safety deposit box. And, I recommended them to several people. During these 13 years, they have grown from a small company to one of the largest.

However, APMEX has now become a criminal organization because they will first take your money and after your check has cleared your bank, they will then find issues in your order. Especially, like in my case where the market value of my order increased by almost $1,000. They refused to fill my order until after I resolved some issues and they intended to cancel my order and resell at the much higher current market price if I didn’t respond to an email within 48 hours. As a long-term customer, APMEX had zero reasons to find any issues and I was able to resolve the issues and they shipped my order. However, I was certainly worried for a couple of days. Their intent was to cancel my order since the price had increased. I believe there would have been no issues if there had been a price drop.

If APMEX has any reasons for issues, they should post it on their website or otherwise notify you and give you the opportunity to resolve the issues before they accept your order. Certainly, APMEX shouldn’t wait until after your check has cleared and they have your money to find issues. Their so-called justification is that some people will use an alias to place an order and APMEX will use that as an attempt to cancel the order if there is a significant increase in the market price or perhaps even to keep your money. Regardless, whether their issues are the use of an alias and/or some other reason, the customer should be given an opportunity to resolve the issues before making payment. Otherwise, if they receive payment, they should fill the order.

I don't recommend APMEX unless you first call and talk to them to make sure they will have no issues. Instead, I recommend "Only Gold" or "JM Bullion." Both companies sell gold, silver, platinum, etc. and have very good prices.

Customer's Experience

Did You Receive What You Ordered?
Yes
Would You Purchase From This Dealer Again?
No
Until recently APMEX was outstanding. Over the last 13 years, I have ordered from APMEX over $200,000 in gold and platinum that I store in my safety deposit box. And, I recommended them to several people. During these 13 years, they have grown from a small company to one of the largest.

However, APMEX has now become a criminal organization because they will first take your money and after your check has cleared your bank, they will then find issues in your order. Especially, like in my case where the market value of my order increased by almost $1,000. They refused to fill my order until after I resolved some issues and they intended to cancel my order and resell at the much higher current market price if I didn’t respond to an email within 48 hours. As a long-term customer, APMEX had zero reasons to find any issues and I was able to resolve the issues and they shipped my order. However, I was certainly worried for a couple of days. Their intent was to cancel my order since the price had increased. I believe there would have been no issues if there had been a price drop.

If APMEX has any reasons for issues, they should post it on their website or otherwise notify you and give you the opportunity to resolve the issues before they accept your order. Certainly, APMEX shouldn’t wait until after your check has cleared and they have your money to find issues. Their so-called justification is that some people will use an alias to place an order and APMEX will use that as an attempt to cancel the order if there is a significant increase in the market price or perhaps even to keep your money. Regardless, whether their issues are the use of an alias and/or some other reason, the customer should be given an opportunity to resolve the issues before making payment. Otherwise, if they receive payment, they should fill the order.

I don't recommend APMEX unless you first call and talk to them to make sure they will have no issues. Instead, I recommend "Only Gold" or "JM Bullion." Both companies sell gold, silver, platinum, etc. and have very good prices.
Overall rating 

Shipping Time 

Customer Service 

Buying Experience 

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Already have an account?
Please enter the security code.